Tuesday, December 27, 2016

My Christmas dolls; 1960-1965


I was 6 months old my first Christmas.
My parents bought me a doll as big as I am!
I still have her. She was made by a Canadian doll company which I believe was in Toronto, Ontario; Dee & Cee. They were the ones chosen to make the Chatty Cathy dolls a few years later. Aren't I cute?


My handsome Dad, Jack Williams, and myself.
He always loved Christmas, and enjoyed all my dolls.


A collage from 1961 - 1963.
I didn't appreciate my tricycle until later.
In 1962 I got a soft bodied baby doll and a cute pink cradle.
In 1963 I got a lovely tin kitchen set with pots and pans, dishes, and a pretend turkey.
It was made in West Germany and I loved that set!


One of my favourite dolls was my blonde haired Chatty Cathy doll, made by Dee & Cee in Canada, and by Mattel in the USA. I got her in 1964. The Canadian dolls are marvelously made with glassine eyes and peach limbs which don't fade. My sister Leona got a brunette baby Chatty doll.
We also got a tin house with plastic furniture. 
In 2014 my doll turned 50.


I don't ever remember naming any of my dolls.
Recently I began calling her Catherine.
She still has her original dress and shoes.


In 1965 we had a new baby sister (born in July).
Leona and I got blue doll buggies and diaper bags for our dolls.
We played often with those buggies.
Christmas was always a very happy time in our home!

By Loretta Houben

2 comments:

Angela said...

These pictures are precious! Thanks for sharing.

Loretta said...

Thank you, Angela! I've always loved dolls, and I still have most of them.