Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A summer day at the PNE!


Saturday, August 19, 2017, Alika, my AG doll I purchased in Hawaii in 2014, before I ever knew there would be a Hawaiian doll produced one day, came with me to the PNE, the Pacific National Exhibition. It's been here since 1910 which is an extremely long time for Vancouver! 


Saturday was opening day, and the fair lasts for 2 weeks. It used to be an agricultural fair, but now there is only one large barn full of 4H animals, and that's only for the 1st weekend. There used to be flower buildings, food buildings, craft displays, etc but now it's quite boring actually, unless you enjoy wild rides in Playland! But there are still a few good things left to look at, including the Superdog show, where Alika found a new friend to bring home. (see photo at top) She also found 2 rides that she enjoyed near the cute pig racing section.


The wild pig ride for only 1 loonie! ($1.00)


The rides are in the large old barn. The last time we were here there was a terrific rain and wind storm and everyone had to leave the PNE! Saturday was a lovely hot day so all was well.


Besides eating a corn dog, coffee, popcorn, ice-cream, pulled pork sandwich and fudge, we watched the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) ride the beautiful horses in a stunning 1/2 hour musical show, full of galloping and intricate patterns. It was a lovely sight to see!


I tried to find lots of places to take a good photo, but it's a little tricky holding an 18" doll! I'm really used to taking photos in public so it doesn't bother me if people stare. Only one person inquired about my lovely doll. She didn't know there was an American Girl boutique downtown, and she hadn't heard of Maplelea! That's where I got the lovely 150th T-shirt and skirt set.


This is near Playland. Once long ago in 1981, I rode the old wooden roller coaster with my boyfriend, Robert. I thought I'd die and haven't been on it since, but thanks to a story I wrote about it for a PNE competition in 2002, I won free passes for my whole family, including ride passes, and VIP treatment for one day! I'll never forget that excitement!


Alika, near the far corner of the PNE, where the lumber men used to display their stunts, cutting wood (I have a small wooden chair made by one of them, suitable for dolly size) race to the top of a tall pole, and try to stay afloat on a log in water. I still miss that part of the PNE.



I have many happy memories of the PNE.
I'll close with this darling photo of a mama pig and some of her litter. Aren't they darling?

By Loretta Houben

No comments: