Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Matthew's first day of college!

It's Matthew's first day of college. It's hard to believe. When people tell you to enjoy your youth, to savour each new day, to enjoy your children as much as possible while they are young, take heed! It was 13 years ago that Matthew began his first day of Kindergarten. I can remember it so clearly. We had enrolled him in a private Christian school, and his first day was right after Labour Day. Robert drove all of us to Vancouver Christian School, and we took a few photos. Matthew was sooooooo excited! His teacher was Miss Tiu, and he adored her from day one. I didn't cry when he was gone for 3 hours that first day. In fact, I never cried. I was so happy we had a chance to send him to a Christian school for 9 years.

Matthew never had a problem being away from me. He was always an independent boy. He enjoyed Kindergarten, and he always was exhausted and had a nap when he got home. He went on Tuesdays and Thursdays full days, and every other Friday. Oh the memories! In Grade 9 he switched to Windermere Secondary, the same public school I attended. He enjoyed his studies (mostly) and graduated with honours in June of this year. Now a new life is before him. I hope he enjoys college. I feel he is privileged to remain at home and go to a college nearby. We saved for his tuition since he was a young child. He has enough to get him through 2 years, then he's on his own. He's taking history, English, and classical studies. He loves writing, but is unsure of what to major in. I hope he finds his path in life, and enjoys each day to the full.

1 comment:

Frann said...

I totally understand how you felt at that time. I also have the only son and similar experience to yours. Time flies like an arrow. It has been 10 years since Mattew's first day of college. My son is a college student now, but he will be I his life's path soon. You and I may be grandma in years. Haha.