Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Six years ago...9/11

On a bright and sunny Tuesday, Sept 11, 2001, I woke up to the phone ringing. My hubby answered it. I drowsily went downstairs, and the radio was on. The phone call had been from my Mom. It was 7:30 am PST and she had called to say that the Twin Towers had been bombed and the Pentagon had been attacked.

My heart nearly stopped beating. I wondered if it was the End of the world at last. Our puppy was very sick at the same time, and I was concerned for her, so between the news of the bombings (which turned out to be planes crashing deliberately into the Twin Towers, a fact I still can't accept) and the sick puppy, it was a truly wretched day.

It changed my perspective on the world and life in general. On Sept 23rd, my mother in law passed away, and I was nearly overcome with grief and death. I hated the thought of dying. I hated the thought that there are people in this world who love and enjoy killing. It took me a long time to recover and realize that I need to enjoy each day to the full, and be thankful to God for giving me this time to be alive.

It's been SIX YEARS since that awful day, and I can say I really did change. I still miss my mother in law so much. It does NOT get better with the passing of time. That is a lie. It doesn't hurt as deeply, but the hurt and the longing for her to still be here, so I can talk to her and see her, is just the same as the day I heard she was gone. She loved the Lord with all her heart, and was a Christian, so I know she is happy in Heaven with Him. But I still wish I could speak with her again. Those things never stop hurting, nor do they get better.

Here is a wonderful link to some words written by John Piper regarding this day:
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/TasteAndSee/ByDate/2007/2388




No comments: