Sunday, July 2, 2017

CANADA DAY 150!


Yesterday, July 1st, we celebrated Canada Day 150.
That's how old Canada is. It's really quite young compared to other countries!
Maplelea, a Canadian 18" doll company, had the cutest outfit for the dolls so I bought two.



I love celebrations and I love to decorate.
I chose my Hawaiian doll I purchased in Honolulu in 2014 to model one of the outfits. She's on the left holding the Maplelea flag. It doesn't have anything to attach it to the doll's hand. Tenney is on the right and she's holding a flag from Build a Bear, which has an elastic sewn on to attach with. The tin is from Purdy's chocolates. 


Here is a Newberry doll wearing her red and white dress with the AG dolls, plus a pretty plate I purchased downtown in a tourist shop, and a lovely print I found at Winner's.
It was hard finding anything that had 150 on it so I was very pleased with my purchases.


This was a large flag I put in our front window. I got it at London Drugs. I only put the dolls in the window for the photo as they are too valuable to leave in sunshine!
We had a wonderful warm sunny day, and my parents and one sister with her family came over for a delicious BBQ with corn on cob and salads in the afternoon.
Happy Canada 150!

By Loretta Houben

4 comments:

Angela said...

Happy Canada Day to you, Loretta! I love how your dolls are dressed for the occasion. I know next to nothing about your holiday...do you celebrate your country's birthday like we in the United States do, with fireworks, barbeques, and displaying the flag? Anyway, sounds like you had a wonderful day. Ours is coming up on Tuesday. You have inspired me to post some pics of my dolls celebrating, too!

Loretta said...

Thanks, Angela! We do celebrate the same way. My Dad's birthday is July 1st so we always had his birthday to celebrate too. But in the 60's and 70's when I was growing up we were always in the USA visiting relatives, so we didn't celebrate Canada Day (or Dominion Day as it was known then) as much as we do now. Since I got married in 1982, we've always tried to celebrate it much more. I decorate with red and white, and we have a BBQ. Sometimes we watch fireworks, but until recently those weren't available. These days there is more of a patriotic spirit around, than there used to be.

Betty said...

Your dolls look cute dressed for the occasion!

I meant to tell you that as my mom got older she would often say, "I've got a mind like a sieve." It seemed to be one of her favorite expressions.

Loretta said...

Thanks, Betty!
My Grandma always said that, and so that's why it's the title of my blog. LOL