Wednesday, January 24, 2018

A hump day on which I bought nothing for dolls! (my original Chatty Cathy)


Slowly, slowly I'm organizing my Chatty Cathy photos taken digitally over the years. I've had a digital camera since 2001, so that's a very long time. 17 years! So I'm dating them on the photo, and adding descriptions once I've added a frame.
Here is my original Chatty Cathy Canadian blonde bob doll with a soft face, peachy limbs, glassine eyes, original dress and shoes. Her panties and socks disappeared decades ago.


I found the original box yesterday after a long hunt in my closet. It's stained on the front. There isn't a coloured photo like the American boxes, just an outline, and the doll wasn't even wearing this dress, and she didn't have pigtails, but alas, this is the way in Canada...always the rejects of things. It's rather sad to say the least. 



The back of the box, where the coloured photo should have gone, which would make it the front. See how Canadians were cheated? A boring box.


One of the sides, with "Fabrique au Canada" on the side; the other side is in English.


The wonderful thing about my doll, though, is that due to collector demand, she is more valuable than plain old USA dolls; she is made by dee & cee, a Canadian company which produced the Chatty Cathy dolls for Mattel. It didn't last long though, only until 1965. I love the top of my box. It has the price tag from Simpson Sears, where my Mom bought the doll in 1964. I got her for Christmas, and I still remember opening the box by the green couch in my parent's living room, and seeing her blonde hair. I remember screaming in delight. Thanks to my Dad, I still have this box. He was a pack rat of the grandest order.
So although I went out today in the pouring rain, and looked at Our Generation dolls at The Bay, and resisted temptation and didn't buy anything, I'm pleased because I've been enjoying the dolls that I do have.

By Loretta Houben

No comments: